Friday 6 June 2014

You wouldn't hire a dolphin-hating, drunk arsonist? Me neither.

Around this time last year, I shut down my old blog for good. 

I was told that keeping a blog under my real name with all the content I created would be sure to jeopardize my future. As much as I wanted to call bullshit - apparently one can even keep a mayoral crown even after smoking enough crack to suffocate a rhino - I understood that some of the things that I expressed my opinion on, such as gay marriage, unpaid labour, and feminism, would be seen as wary at best and a liability at worst. 

(Gay marriage is none of your damn business, you bigot. Unpaid labour and anyone who uses it should be sent to the farm where all dogs go to heaven. Feminism is needed, and amazing.) 

It was pretty well-visited for the small little thing that it was, and whenever someone gave me feedback about my writing it felt like unicorns were throwing up on my head (Hasn't happened yet, but I bet it's fantastic) and it's what kept me writing for as long as I did. I wrote the way I wanted to, dropping vulgarities and obscene metaphors and put myself and my personal experiences out there.

Needless to say, I wasn't exactly proud of all my experiences. And I certainly don't think that any sane employer who happened upon my writing would appreciate that I've had my share of drunken adventures, being irrationally afraid of dolphins (Spiders are cool, though), and taking home discarded furniture to burn for fun. 

I'm not sure the world is ready to hire a dolphin-hating drunken arsonist-in-training and be okay with that.

For all intents and purposes, this will be my space to write. If my only way of self-absorption can be allowed to shine through on a small corner of the Internet going virtually unnoticed, I would be really happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment